Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hookin' a Rug

For a long time I've wanted to crochet a rag rug from fabric strips. It was just an idea in the back of my head, until I read  this tutorial by Amanda Jean at Crazy Mom Quilts. It was easy to make and I love how colorful and random it is and how 'homespun' it looks.

I've never used yarn this bulky or a hook this big (size P), so I found it really hard to get my crochet groove on, but I'll get better and quicker with practice. Of course I want to make more!
And man, oh man, does this use up the scraps! All my scrap 'strings' are history, and I had to cut lots more from my stash. This rug is a perfect way to make some of those fabrics you don't like anymore go away--you know, the ones you regret buying, but you paid good money for them, darn it. Yeah, those fabrics. Let's not speak of them, shall we? Let's just cut them up into strips for pretty rugs and pretend that's what we meant to do with them all along ;)
 There are lots of flowers in there, some fish, some Christmas trees, some Spider-Man (don't ask)...
"You made this for me, right?"
During photos, it quickly became the place to be.
It measures 22"x 29", and now lives by the side of the bed. Feels so nice under foot.
Have a good weekend!

Linked up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. I love your rug, the cats are cute too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And yes, they are and they know it ;)

      Delete
  2. Cute rug, and cute kitties, too! Mine always have to help me take pictures, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I swear, the camera is a cat magnet--as is every project I'm working on!

      Delete
  3. Rug is so bright and cheery.....I had also read the tutorial but have not tackled an attempt. You did great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Definitely give it a try, you'll love the final result.

      Delete
  4. Pretty rugs! Your little helpers are so cute! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And when the camera comes out, they want to be the center of attention:)

      Delete