Friday, October 17, 2014

Haunted Houses

But haunted only by friendly, slightly mischievous spirits, of course.
I first saw cute little houses like this in the book Scandinavian Stitches by Kajsa Wikman. She makes such sweet, colorful, charming things (her blog is here).  I fiddled around with the design a bit--sizes, details--and made one just right for me. I love those little windows and rounded doors, button doorknobs and crooked chimneys.
I made some little houses last year for Christmas decorations, to keep and give away...but really, how could I resist making some for Halloween? And how could I not make a small neighborhood??
Applique'ing the windows and doors is so much fun, and so is picking out combinations of fabrics for each house---the wilder, the better. I like to make them with a high contrast of colors and fabrics, so they stand out and look more whimsical.

You never know what you might find in your neighbor's woodpile...

(Linked up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday)

12 comments:

  1. I love these! What great and simple decorations they make.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Charlotte! It was hard to know when to stop ;)

      Delete
  2. Very cute little Halloween cottages!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite house is the one on the left in the last photo. It is after all "The Last House on The Left"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My faves are that one and the middle one in the photo above it.

      Delete
  4. ooh, your houses look fantastic. What a great idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Svetlana! They're good for any holiday, or just because. Last year I made one for St. Patrick's Day, and I'm not even Irish. ;)

      Delete