Friday, April 11, 2014

Gettin' Zippy Wit It

Every once in a while I go on one of those sewing sprees where I make a whole bunch of one thing...whether I need them or not. This time it was zipper pouches. I could justify making all of these by saying they're so practical to have around, which is true, but who am I kidding? I just love putting pretty fabrics together, and they're such fun to make.
I really like this red with bright turquoise.

Sock monkeys! The top two look like they're swinging from the zipper.

Cheerful flowers. (Real ones will be blooming outside soon...right??)

Bikes, scooters and little red wagons.

This one's a gift for someone who did me a big favor this winter. I hope she likes it!

Each one is made of quilting cotton and linen, and measures 8.5"x 6"x 1.75".

Oh, there's no way I could resist taking this photo. I love to make softies, but this lanky fellow was made by someone else and given to me by my mom, years ago.

Okay, I know I'm not the only one---what sewing projects do you like to make bunches of?

Have a good weekend, and thanks for reading!


Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for Finish It Up Friday.

8 comments:

  1. These are really cute, I often think I have to justify what I sew, then I think, no actually I don't, I can sew what I want, when I want. I love the bright stripey fabric best.
    Oh and your cat is adorable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comments! That's the best attitude--to sew what makes us happy, just because we CAN and just because it's FUN :) The kitty in my header photo is Sylvia; I was binding that quilt on my kitchen table, when it suddenly seemed heavier...and I discovered a little stowaway!

      Delete
  2. Love your zippered pouches! Which pattern is it?
    My favorite is the bicycle print - and the monkey print - actually all of them are my favorite!
    Pretty, pretty!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much! I can't pick a favorite, either :)
      I don't really use a pattern, just a template I made for the size and shape I want. There are lots of tutorials on the sewing blogs, but Anna/Noodlehead has a good one here:
      http://www.noodle-head.com/2010/10/scrappy-make-up-pouch-tutorial_20.html.
      If you REALLY want to be thorough, I recommend Elizabeth Hartman's PDF ($10): http://www.ohfransson.bigcartel.com/product/perfect-zip-bags-pdf-sewing-pattern.
      It has a bunch of different styles, sizes and variations, and her technique for sewing in zippers is the BEST, easy and foolproof. I hope that helps!

      Delete
  3. Wow, you really went to town on those! I like to make bunches of hot pads or pot holders. People can always use them!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was hard to hold myself back to not make more...so many fabrics that just NEED to go together! haha Potholders are great to make in batches, too, Our gift cupboards will never be empty :)
      Thanks for your comment!

      Delete
  4. Hi Lynn,
    I too have been making pouches for end of the school year gifts. I used Noodlehead's Open Wide Pouch tutorial. I love how quick and easy they come together. Have enjoyed reading your blog, looking for to reading more!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi! I haven't made Noodlehead's pouch yet, but I definitely should give that one a try. Thanks for visiting this new little blog, I'm so glad to know you've enjoyed it!

      Delete