Friday, April 4, 2014

Out with the Old, In with the New

I actually do have some finished things to show you! Not everything around here is a WIP (work in progress)--though there are certainly plenty of those. I recently made this charming little lunch bag.


I used Ayumi's tutorial. It may look long, but she takes it step-by-step with lots of helpful photos, so it's easy to follow. Usually I'll adapt other people's patterns here and there to make an item just the way I want it, but I made my lunch bag just like hers. (I box my corners differently, though: I cut them off before I sew them. I want to be able to see both side and bottom seams, to make sure they're lined up perfectly.)



I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I haven't used it yet, though. The thing is, I don't pack many lunches...but I do sometimes, and I say that's reason enough to make something cute!
Here's my old lunch bag. I got that one in the early '90s; it's held a lot of lunches. I'm glad you can't see the stains in the photo. Truly a sad sack.



And while I was at it, making cute practical things from one of my favorite Alexander Henry fabrics, why not a couple notepad organizers? I made the larger one as a grocery list/coupon holder (below it is the worn-out specimen it replaces). I dislike grocery shopping, even under the best conditions (are there any best conditions?), so I'll do what I can to make it more pleasant.



The little one lives in my purse, for whenever inspiration might strike...which I'll scribble in a hurry and won't be able to read later. (Remember "Flaming Globes of Sigmund" from Seinfeld, when Jerry scrawls something that later he--and everyone else he asks--can't read correctly? "Salami salami baloney". Yeah, it's like that.)
Each one has a pocket on the left, a slot on the right to hold a notepad, and is held closed with elastic.



It makes me happy to take something that's usually mundane--a lunch bag, a grocery list--and turn it into something pretty and cheerful. Functional things should be beautiful; they're even more special when they're handmade.

Linking up with Crazy Mom Quilts for finish it up Friday. (Look at her latest quilt--gorgeous! Another one to add to my quilt bucket list.)

Have a great weekend!

4 comments:

  1. Your lunch bag is so cute, love the fabrics too! Its waaay cuter than your old one!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! I'm thinking that apples and pears fabric needs to reappear as valences in my kitchen :)
    And yeah, it's time for that old one to go!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always liked that print. It's very spring-y. You have a good eye!

    ReplyDelete