Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Did Someone Say Fabric Shopping?

Tote bags were some of the first things I ever designed. They're fast and fun to make, so useful and have so many creative possibilities. I used this tutorial for the basic technique; from there I've gone on to design purses, cases and pouches of all sorts and styles. My latest is this simple shopping bag, made in bright, cheerful colors and prints.
They're made of quilting cottons and not interlined, so they're very lightweight and packable; they're not heavy-duty enough for major groceries, but great for shopping at gift-shops, craft shows, etc...and perfect to take to fabric stores (they've been put to that test already, of course ;).
I designed it based on my tote bag measurements. I just shortened and widened the handles, sewed them on to the far sides of the bag, and sewed them in half at the top, to make them easier to hold onto. The bottoms are boxed, so the bags hold a lot.
I seem to be really into this red and bright-blue combo lately.
The brighter and wilder they are, the more fun they are! The first two are for me; the next two I made for my mom.

I hope you're having a good week!

2 comments:

  1. Your shopping bags are so great! Love the fabrics and the style!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I'm so pleased with how they turned out.

      Delete